16 April 2013

N is for News

When it comes to reading the news, I stick to a chosen few websites and have my favourite sections to scour too. By no means, do I visit all these news websites every day - I'm not a news junkie. I usually read the BBC new website for the main stories of the day, for local news, sport and the Science and Environment section. The Telegraph website is also a good choice for world news and science, but the best section is the Weird News. You can find all sorts of funny stuff there. I'm not really one for celebrity gossip, but I confess I do often look through the stories on the Femail section of the Mail Online (sshhh) - although I often don't have a clue who they are referring to - Honey Boo Boo, Frankie Essex???? I think it's probably better to be in the dark about most of them.

Today I thought I'd share a couple of the weirder stories that caught my eye. The first one is the rather unsurprising news that men take six months to do 'little jobs' around the house. Apparently, a study by Homebase (a DIY store) found that men regularly put off these little jobs for six months or more either because they don't know how to do them or they lack the time or enthusiasm to do them. The top 5 jobs on our to-do lists are: marked walls, blown light bulbs (I have a few of these - oops), squeaky floorboards, stained carpet and peeling paint. I am definitely guilty myself of putting things off round the house, so I don't think we can only blame men.


The best story by far though was that of Sydney the tortoise, who went missing 10 months ago. His owners spent 2 weeks looking for him last June, and even resorted to calling in a gun dog to sniff him out, all to no avail. But lo and behold, when they started digging up their garden with a JCB for their new extension, there was Sydney laying in a pile of the rubble - alive and well. They think he was so disappointed with the rubbish summer we had last year that he mistook it for winter. I think a lot of us did that. He is absolutely fine and back in his heated vivarium. Phew.


Does anyone else like reading these weirder stories for some light relief? Any suggestions for good websites are more than welcome.

4 comments:

Timothy S. Brannan said...

I have recently been enjoying reading BBCAmerica's website on American news.
Far less spin than the American owned news outlets and propaganda machines.

--
Tim Brannan
The Other Side and The Witch
Red Sonja: She-Devil with a Sword
The Freedom of Nonbelief

Danielle said...

That's hilarious! I avoid the news because there doesn't seem to be anything good in there. Now I might go digging for weird news just so I can have a laugh. =)

Kristen said...

My favorite news is science and tech news, which I check all day. I do love the weird news too though, and love the news items you shared. :)

#atozchallenge, Kristen's blog: kristenhead.blogspot.com

Joey said...

Ah good ol Sydney. This made me smile so much. I'd recommend cracked.com Not sure it can be classified as news, as such, but definitely a great way to lose several hours.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...