09 June 2011

The 30 Before 30 Project

I'm quite excited about this new project I will be undertaking, starting on my birthday which is tomorrow (yay!). I have been thinking about it and planning it for the last month or so and it is time to announce it on here. Tomorrow I turn 29. That means I have one whole year left before I reach the big 3-0. I don't know quite how that has happened and where time has gone, but it is true. 

I have known for the last year how I want to celebrate turning 30 - I want to go up in a hot air balloon. I know it looks peaceful and serene but I think it will be terrifying. It must be pretty scary because so far I have no takers for coming with me! Either that or noone likes me. Anyway, that is a year away, so back to this project. I didn't want to just wait until a special birthday to do something amazing - I want to make this whole next year amazing. The last few years have been difficult and I feel like I want to do something just for me.

The idea itself is around in the blog world already, and when I saw it I knew it would be perfect. I have created a list of 30 things I want to do in the coming year. Some things are small, some are large, some are serious and others are just plain silly!

THE LIST  

1. Spend time alone is a coffee shop with a book and/or a sketchbook.  

2. Submit some plush toys to Stuffed magazine.

3. Learn how to chop food properly (like chefs do!) with a decent knife.

4. Go to a meditation class.

5. Read at least 10 classic books I really should have read.


6. Learn how to use layering in Photoshop Elements.


7. Go on the London Eye.


8. Try an oyster in WHitstable.


9. Have an eye test.


10. Try all the main types of tea.


11. Go camping for at least 1 night.


12. Make a pair of earrings.


13. Embelish an item of clothing found in a charity shop.


14. Go on a river cruise on the Thames.


15. Learn how to competently use my Zenit-EM camera and take at least 1 roll of each type of film - normal C41 colour negative film, black and white film and E6 slide film.

16. Complete a 365 self-portrait project, starting on my birthday.


17. Wear a wig for a whole day (and go out in public with it!).


18. Try eating an egg cooked using all the main methods - poached, boiled, fried, scrambled, omelette.


19. Set off a load of sky lanterns.


20. Watch 10 classic films I really should have seen.


21. Go to a sandy beach and build sandcastles.


22. Have a Shiatsu massage.


23. Discover at least 1 new musical artist every month (new to me at least).


24. Put together a photo album/scrapbook of my life so far, and document this 30th year fully.


25. Cook at least 12 new things from recipes (roughly 1 a month).


26. Have a proper picnic for an afternoon with a proper picnic hamper.


27. Display my artwork somewhere.


28. Run at least 13 miles (a half marathon distance).


29. Host a wine tasting evening with friends/family, and hopefully learn a little about wine, not just get drunk!).


30. Set up my photography shop properly - have a professional looking shop with at least 30 items in it.


I also have a spare one in case there are unforseen circumstances that mean I can't complete a task: Do 5 things that scare me.


And there we go. I really am quite excited about it all! Here's to the next year!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a cool challenge! Good luck on all of it. I'm hoping to get the guts to submit to Stuffed this year too. As for the hot air balloon, see if there's a festival somewhere near you. There's one a few towns away from us and they do "scardy-pants" flights to help people get used to the idea of being in a balloon before actually going on a flight. It's basically tied to the ground and you go about 20 feet in the air. Just think of this, the pictures would be worth it!

Deborah said...

That is such a great idea - good luck with it!

Number 17 made me giggle, maybe I should join you with mine :D

Oh and happy birthday! xx

Cynthia Rahardja Clancy said...

Brilliant idea! Hope you had a wonderful Birthday! Soon I will be turning 39. Think I can do 40 before 40? *eek* Just thinking about it makes me giddy! Good luck with your list.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...